Monday, March 24, 2008

MOOOOONNNSTERRRRRRR TRUUUUUCKSSSS!!!!!!!

Yep, we got 'em here, too! This deep-rooted attraction to big mechanical things that go vroom-vrooom and bang-smash knows no international borders. Don had told me a monster truck show was coming to town, but I didn't quite believe him. I mean...??? So, on Saturday, when I heard the revving motors and squealing tires in the morning (apparently rehearsing for the big show in the afternoon), I wanted to see for myself, so we walked Bella over to the "stadion," a big field that hosts things like the circus, rock concerts, summer festivals and, yes, MONNNNNNSTERRRR TRUUUCKSSSSSS!!!!!



It was VERY cold that day, and yet a good hundred twenty Danes crammed into some pretty small bleachers to watch the chainsaws zip up and down the circuit (which was about a hundred yards long), trucks AND motorcycles. There was mariachi music (DUH) blaring over the loudspeakers, a wicked throwback to my days in Nogales...



The security fella was none too happy about my picture-taking, and I think I was about to get the bum rush after another few seconds had I not scooted my large self away from the ticket booth right then and there. A hugely pregnant woman toddling around with her camera at the entrance to a monster truck show is immediate concern for a security breach, I've come to observe. Don did experience some initial worry that there might be some false advertising going on, as he could not immediately locate Freak Out or Iron Horse (note the poster in front), but was much assuaged to eventually spot both hulking vehicles, probably hidden away for the grand finale. I wish I could have really gotten in there to take some pictures of the audience, as they were the most sober and non-yeehaw lot I've ever seen. I wanted to lead them in a rousing chorus of "WOO HOOS!!!" and "HELL YEAHS!!" this town had ever seen, but it was not to be.

And now the show has pulled out of town until next spring, just in time for Thud's first birthday. Rev on, Iron Horse. Freak on, Freak Out. O, but we hardly knew ye.

3 comments:

NotQuiteDanish said...

That is hysterical! You were lucky all that noisy crowd didn't upset bubs.

EKinDK said...

Are you kidding? He LOVED it! In fact, i was a little fearful the way my belly was being pulled toward the truck show -- I think he knew exactly what was going on and was leading me to it! Uh oh.

Deanna Hull said...

No WAY!!! I'm so jealous that you have monster trucks within walking distance. You are so lucky! Here's what Jack says: autwcjh vcfby CCVVV d `Sxz    1zzzz22qqZXSCC C ACn

Translation: If we had monster trucks in Marin, I'd make mom take me there pronto. You go, Thud!